Monday, January 18, 2010

My Breastfeeding story overview part I

I wrote this when Mamaparadise.com called for a competition of breastfeeding story. Hence I wrote the following in July 2008. Its a short version, there are lots more I wanted to share about BF. Let take this as overview.

"While I was still pregnant, I have already start searching for resources and read about breastfeeding. I borrowed notes from friends and attended antenatal classes, search online to see the video on BF and tried to remember how to latch baby to breast as I read that that's an important "skill" in order to have a success in BF. I also had put into my birth plan that I wanted to BF right after my baby was born.
Then, the important day came, I delivered my precious daughter at night. As she was brought to me, I was so amazed that she could suckle my breast. She was just born with the skill! Then as I was transfered back to my room, even though I was still drowsy due to the Pethidine jab earlier, I declined the offer from nurse to feed my baby milk powder. Whie in the ward, I fed my baby again, after a while she doze off. As I remembered from my reading, newborn tend to be sleepy,and need to wake up to feed, I literally shake my baby ( only after a few days later I knew its dangerous to do that :P oops), then she suckled for a while, and doze off again. "she's probably well fed", that I was thinking. After I put her down to the cot, I went to sleep, thinking, "that's easy...thanks to my readings beforehand". soon after, she cried again. So, throughout the whole midnight, I'd been "pick up, feed, put down" action repetitively till nurse to pick her up for her morning bath.
When we got home the following day, the same had been repeated. I basically didn't sleep at all, I felt pain and sore at my breast, as baby suckle, I also felt pain at my tummy, also I need to handle my mother in law comments and keep saying no to her suggetion on giving water. I was really exhausted and tired, plus all the confinement rule of not touching water, no fan, etc...my whole world was like up side down. I even started to feel angry towards my baby, " why can't you just keep awake and drink enough! why sleep already, then wake up again the moment I put you down! how and when will you be satisfied, my breast was cracked and bled and yet you still want to suckle!" as this persisted for 3 more days. My husband who was the one that wanted me to breastfeed while I was still pregnant, also went to buy a tin of milk powder and fed my baby. I also begin to be doubtful as I don feel anything like engorgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment