Monday, January 18, 2010

My Breastfeeding story overview part IV

Then came the next issue, where could I pump while going to work after maternity leave?
My eletrical pump needed electric outlet. As I thought I managed to get a friend to lend her office to me for expressing, only on my first day of work then she suddenly told me that her office would be in use all the time. I panicked but I made myself calm and managed to use the mother room just behind NICU. I managed to pump 4oz in 1/2 hours of dual pumping, not plenty, but already better than I expected. Later I was blessed that I had understanding colleagues who let me used their office to express milk. I understood that pumping 3 times a day was not enough, as my baby need at least 16oz at babysitter place and later become 24 to 30oz a day. So I pump 3 times at work, then tandem pumping when home, pump once before sleep, then tandem pump at 1am and 5 am, about 7 times in 24hours. I thank God that I was still able to adjust to this busy routine and able to work despite less sleep. I kept the same routine even during weekend to stock up. As time passed, we were able to see that my baby actually had her own growth curve, slow but increasing. After my baby started solid, my freezer stock started accumulating, I couldn't believe that I could one day had my freezer full of breast milk. It was then I drop the expressing at midnight and allowed myself to sleep more. Although my baby was petite still, but she was healthy, active and met the development milestones.
I was so glad that I managed to pull through. She was going to be 14months old, and I am still BF fully"

2 comments:

  1. wa.. hard work mummy.. even i couldn't pump as much as you... studies shown not much benefit after 6 months of breastfeeding..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for visiting my blog! You are the first to comment. I think the studies after 6 months are compounded by factor like variety in solid choice, baby become more mobile and other external factors, hence may affect the result. As long as mother feel comfortable and dun mind the trouble. WHO suggest 2 years and beyond as overall its beneficial. The comfort and bonding arised from BF are additional benefit to nutrition and antibody given.

    ReplyDelete