Monday, March 22, 2010

Self made Nursing Cover

During the Chinese New Year season, I visited a friend. She was also breastfeeding her son for 5 months plus then. One interesting things she showed was the hooded nursing cover which she asked her neighbour to make for her. She was kind enough to pass me the extra boning that she had and the website which gave a tutorials on how to make one ourselves.

Being amateur in tailoring, I could hardly understand the instructions until I draw it out accordingly to visualise. As I went to SS2 to have my hair cut, I dropped by one of the shop to get a fabric. I looked for 100% cotton as I thought it should be cooling. Hence the shop keeper recommeded me Japanese cotton as it was better quality. As much as I wanted to have cute pattern, the price really put me off, about RM39/meter! If that's the case, I better got one from here. Since this was just a try out, I got a man shirt like pattern japanese cotton at sale price of RM15/meter.

Then my next move was to look for someone who got sewing machine to sew for me. I thought my babysitter got one but hers couldn't make a straight line hence I resort to a tailor shop. I cut the fabric accordingly ( with extra 6" from the recommended length and width) so that it would be easier for me to explain to the tailor. So on saturday afternoon, I brought the fabric and the boning and the instruction print out to the tailor shop. I even drawed the line to show the connection point. After waited for her to entertain other customer for 1/2 hour, finally I got the chance to talk to her. However, while I was halfway showing her, suddenly she raised her voice " you are wasting my time you know, unless you pay us RM20, otherwise you get your friend to make it for you..." She kept emphasize and repeat "waste our time", "RM20". I really got upset and even got the urge to cry. I hold back and decided I shouldn't be mistreated like this. So I just bought the D-ring and asked her to machine sew the 2 straps and left the shop. But I won't come to this shop anymore.

Instead of looking for people to help, I decided to hand-sew it. My mother and auntie were tailors and I basically grew up in a tailor institute. Ya, I did have some regret for not picking up the skill while having the chance but no time keep regreting. Anyway, after spending 2 days plus burning midnight oil, I finally complete making my very first nursing cover!
Here is my pride:

Here is the supposed view if I wear the nursing cover. The boning form the hood which allow me to see my baby and let the baby see me while nursing. :)

Will try to put up the picture for better illustrations on making the nursing cover if got time.

No comments:

Post a Comment