Thursday, April 29, 2010

Toddler anxiety and fear

HE used to like preschool. Sometimes we even used to that to make her sleep by saying ' do you want to go to school tomorrow? then you better sleep now.' It works sometimes.

However, starting this sunday night, HE starts to tell me " mommy, I don't want to go to school", and she says it a few times, like making sure that I get her message. I thought she is just being 'manja'. Then she repeat the same the next night, it gets me thinking. I wonder if there is anything happen in the school.

I talk to babysitter, she inform that there is a new student in the school, who is dark in colour. HE does seem to have some colour discrimination, but I don't know that she will develop fear towards darker skinned colour person. In addition, there are mixed race in HE class, why she is fearful towards this particular child.

Yesterday, wednesday, she cried a lot at school till teacher is asking babysitter why also. I am concerned so I sms the principal. According to her, the new comer already attend the school since March. She suspect the change in HE could be due to the arrival of HE, my newborn baby. Although she seem to accept the new siblings, but 3 weeks later, toddler may feel insecure as they get the idea of ' this baby is going to stay at home forever, getting mother's attention permanently, the baby won't go away anymore'. She advise me to spend some one-to-one time with HE to ease her.
I think its probably true. I call babysitter again to see how's HE doing today (thursday). According to babysitter, she doesn't cry today probably because the new boy doesn't come today as the boy attends school on Mon, Wed and Friday only. So which one is explaining HE's change? What I can do now is just monitor. I also try to search online for barney video to see if there is anything that can help ease HE's fear towards stranger or particular skin colour. I am also figuring how to spend more time wih her without baby. Hope HE will be doing fine soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment