Friday, April 16, 2010

HX day 11

Today is another follow up at Dr Koe's clinic. Thank God there are less patients in the clinic. According to Dr Koe, HX jaundice is subsiding ( though to me she still looks jaundice). Although the umbilical cord has dropped, but the inner part of the unbilical area is still wet and not fully dry yet with some yellowish stuff. I am concerned about it as I am worried that it can get infection. Dr Koe has examined the area and she used a cotton bud with spirit to clean the area and add a little bit of fusidin ointment. However, she assured me that there is no infection as the umbilical area is not red and HX has no fever. Overall, HX has gained weight and grow bigger:

Weight : 3.2kg (Increased from 3.05kg 7 days ago)
Length : 52 cm (Increased from 48cm at birth)
Head size : 35cm (Increased from 33cm at birth)

On average, HX has gained around 21gm perday, meeting the minimum weight gain of 20g per day. I am so glad. Compared to last time, HE has problem of gaining weight, hence needing to supplement 3oz pumped milk 2-3 times a day. Sometimes I wonder whether it was because I didn't really latch HE properlay last time hence making her lack of milk intake, although the number of soiled and wet diapers showed adequacy.

For the past one week, HX basically sleep more in the morning and afternoon. At one point, she sleep so much till I am worried that the jaundice has worsen making her sleepy all the time. When the last feed is around 6 or 7am, HX can sleep till 10 or 11am. Then after my mom in laws gives her bath, she will be fed again around 12pm, sometimes she just sleep after only around max 15 mins, sometimes she is kicking away while I am having my lunch. Then she need to be fed almost continuously till 2pm before she sleep again. Then, after another feeding around 4-5pm, she can sleep through till 7-8pm. Then she is mostly awake till I make her sleep by feeding her around 10pm, as if she knows that's timing when sister and daddy are around.:)

I am glad that HX can sleep well, but she wake up more at night for milk. At night, she is asleep around 11pm, then 1am, 2am, 4 am, 5-6am. According to Gina Ford, there is a certain amount of milk a baby require, if a baby takes less during day time, the baby will wake up more at night to make up the total requirement. I suspect that's the case with HX. In addition, HX makes lots of sound when asleep, with some moro reflex too. Being a mother, I can be easily alerted whenever there is a sound or movement from HX, hence so far I couldn't have a quality sleep yet. Compared to HE last time, although I still wake up 2-3 times at night to feed, but I had good sleep in between. Hopefully HX orientation on day and night will be getting better and I do have a greedy hope that she can sleep through the night sooner:)

No comments:

Post a Comment