Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Postnatal blues...breastfeeding

As mentioned in my earlier post, HX is a better suckler. She suckle strongly. However, it is not easy to latch her properly. I have to attempt a few times before she is willing to be lactch on and suckle strongly. HX seem to be choosy, sometimes I manage to put whole areola into her mouth, but she would push it out with her tongue. As she can suckle strongly and my breastfeeding skill has dropped ( after one year not breastfeeding), on the very first night, I see blister on my nipples.Then it progresses to cracked nipples. They are painful. Whenever HX starts suckle, I feel a sharp pain till lifting up my leg, not to mention coping with the uterine pain and backache that come in the same time. It is really suffering.

On third day, my breasts are heavy. Mature milk is in. Hoo...the milk come earlier compared to HE time which come only on 5th day. I attempt to pump as HX couldn't empty them. However, I am so stupid that I forgot to adjust the suction setting of my Spectra 2. The moment I put the funnel on my right breast, blood shoot out! I am stunt at one moment. what happen! I see my right nipple bleeding. Later I adjust to lowest setting and managed to pump out 2 oz plus from bothe breast in 5 mins time. ( see the bottle on the left, that's the milk mixed with blood, compared to the milk pumped on other times)


Painful, painful, but at least the engorgement is relieved. Hence I need to see Dr Koe, not only for her to check HX jaundice but also to advise me on breastfeeding. True enough, we need to learn again how to breastfeed with every baby. Now HX is getting more patience, hence I am taking time to latch properly to ensure that she takes in big mouthful. Till now, a few attempts are still required for proper latching, hopefully we gets better once HX has better control of her head.

No comments:

Post a Comment