Sunday, April 11, 2010

HX birth story

Finally, after one week of birth, I could find time to write about it.
I thought the baby wanted to choose to be delivered on Easter day, however, no news. Hence hubby and I packed on Monday morning and head to hospital for labour induction.

I was hoping that I didn't need any induction as I thought the past contractions that I experienced could have open the cervix. While waiting for the Gynae to come, I experienced contractions at 15 mins interval. True enough, it was opened around 2 cm plus, and my Gynae helped to open it to 3 while examining me. I was relieved, guess today was truely the day God wanted the baby to be out. ( If count by the clock of western countries, still considered as Easter baby, right?). Then a nurse came in to administer the enema. I never thought that the ravin enem administration could be that awful. I had to keep breathing in and out while the nurse administered the enema as it was really PAINful! somemore there were 2 enema to be in! However, before the second enema could be finished, I had to rush to toilet already. It was like a bad diarrhoea till I needed to hold to the rail beside the toilet till 'the business' finished.

Then, around 11 am plus, I was wheeled down to the labour room. I was changed and put on the straps for CTG monitoring. I practically need to lie on the bed and couldn't really move as it would affect the CTG readings. At 1.30pm, cervix opening was checked again, "3cm still" hence I was put on IV pitocin to speed up the progress. The contractions began to be more intense, but I could still bear and even talk. Urine urge came and I was prohibited from going to toilet. I was offered to urinate on the sheet or put on catheter. Wanted to have as minimal intervention as possible, I opted for pad. Though the urge was there but I couldn't really urinate by lying down. It was quite awful especially when contractions came. Once finally the urine was out, it was more than I expected." relieve but feel awful again". Therefore, when the next urge came, plus knowing that full bladder could affect the cervix opening, I asked for catheter. The insertion of the catheter was painful, again, urgh...600ml urine was out, that much!! Around 3pm, my Gynae came to check on me again. 4cm. Huh! after all the effort! Then she left, informing me that she would come back again around 6pm. I was already in painful contractions, 3 more hours to bear?

IV pitocin was continued to be up, my contractions was getting more and more intense and regular. Unlike the previous medicine, this IV pitocin gave me no room to breath. Though the major contraction came and go like wave, there was still a part remained contracted while another wave came again. This was really bad, though I could practice the relaxing breathing exercise quite well, it was so painful! In the mean time, I experienced ache at my waist, and to me, it was even more unbearable. I was lying on my side as that's best position for me to overcome the contraction pain and to relieve from the 'waist ache'. However, that position didn't favour the CTG recording. I was asked to lie flat on bed again while bearing all the pain. urgh!...

Around 4pm, my contractions got too regular and intense, I couldn't bear and started to shiver. I just didn't care and lie on my left. That had affected the CTG readings and it looked like fetal in distress. The midwife came in and checked again. Cervix opening was still 4cm! IV pitocin was stopped but it didn't help, the intensity and the intervals ( less than a min apart) remained as it was. I couldn't bear and asked for epidural. However, the anaest was still in OT. When the anaest was finally here, the CTG readings was not good enough for epidural yet ( which I thought it was due to my position). I was asked to lie real flat on bed ( a position that I felt most uncomfortable).

Finally the CTG was considered good enough to have epidural. I had to sit up while the anaest was inserting the needle to my back. Contractions pain was still there, stretching was stronger now. The feeling was like the 'bowel' was stretch opened still. A numb sensation was felt at my right leg, due to the epidural ( I thought it should be bilateral?. Another insertion was done again, a sensation was felt again at my right leg, till I had involuntary lift of my right leg. ( contractions pain was stil there) At this time, a pushing force started!

Quickly, my back was put on plaster and had to be lied on the back again ( I really hate this position). PE was done, 5cm, 6cm, 7cm. "It was pushing, pushing!" I was asked to streth my legs straight to 'tahan' the pushing, while waiting for Gynae to come. I 'tahan', 'tahan'... finally gynae came. I almost beg ' Can I push now?". Baby head was already crowning. I pushed..pushed. Finally baby was out! I feltso so relieved...and exhausted. This was harder than the first one.

No comments:

Post a Comment