Monday, April 26, 2010

I survive doing confinement alone

Finally, my mother in law will be coming back today, and I gladly announce that I survive through the week doing confinement alone without my mother in law or confinement lady!

Basically everything goes according to my previous plan, except the part on the part time maid. My sister also stay around with me for certain time of the day, though she couldn't really help in taking care of baby, but at least she brought me delicious 'Char Siew Bao' and Soya drink.

My husband help the most, he helped to distract or entertain the elder daughter, or attend HX while I am in toilet or taking bath during weekend. He also did the laundry, dishes and sweep the floor. Throughout the whole week, during weekday, He also wake up earlier in the morning to boil the herbal bath solution, then place it at the bathroom for me . He took half day leave on 2 days also. Also he bought me a TV series to help me past time.

Also, HX also is a better sleeper. In the morning, she takes the last feed around 6-7am, then normally will sleep till around 9am. That's the time I can take to clean my face, brush my teeth and take my breaskfast, as well as pump also. I also boil water to be used for the day. My breakfast is simple, its 3 in 1 oats drink or Horlicks plus oat with 2 pieces of bread. Then when HX wakes up, I feed her first then give her a sponge bath. I am still not confident to bath her in the tub as I am concern with the physical restraint that I may have and also consider the umbilical cord is not quite dry fully. Midmorning till noon is the busiest time, when HX is awake and keep peeing and pooing, and I keep cleaning. Initially to save the trouble, I use disposable diapers all the time, then I notice that her bump seem to develop rash and small 'pimples', so I use 'lampin' instead. In addition, that's the busiest feeding time also, HX normally will settle around 1 to 2pm, after she is fed almost continunously, probably because she also keep pee and poo. I take shower with the herbal solution around 11am, then I take my catered confinement lunch around 1pm, regardless HX is asleep or not, but I make sure she is contented and not fussy.

HX sleep the best during afternoon, even she normally wakes up around 5 to 6pm, she is quik to settle to sleep till 7 or 8pm. Hence afternoon is my most free time. Though I am supposed to sleep whenever HX sleep, but I am just too awake. :). Around 6pm, I cook the rice to eat with the dishes I cater also. Then I pump around 7 or 8 plus, so that I can feed HX through bottle when she wakes up around that time. My husband and HE are back by then. After finish my favourite TV series at 9.30pm, its time for bed and I feed HX lying down. Of course, waking up a few times ( minimum 3 times) at night for feeding is the norm, but HX seems to sleep better at night now after each feed.

So I almost pass my days with the same routine. I am also able to catch up with some readings on the parenting books that I have bought sometimes ago. So far I have only finished reading one, that's considered an achievement as I hardly finish a book. Thank God for answering my prayer on giving me the strength to go through the confinement while I am alone and also on easier breastfeeding. As I have written in my previous post, once breastfeeding is ok, the rest can be easily settled. I also pray my post-delivery healing will be completed soon.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment