Friday, February 5, 2010

My DIY Confinement plan

I have never engaged a confinement lady even during my first born, only my mother in law. However, after the first confinement, I learn that the confinement practice in Kuching is different from Penisular. My MIL also only know 3 meals : Chicken Ka Cak Ma ( a herbs that promote blood circulation), ginger chicken wine Mee Sua and Papaya soup. In order not to tire my MIL, and also to treat myself better, I thought of cater confinement food. We drop the idea of having confinement lady, as we can't accept having a stranger at home plus I have heard many horror stories about bad services. However, my confinent plan need to be more comprehensive as my MIL suddenly inform me that she will be likely going to Australia during my last 2 weeks of confinement. Its shocking, but I can't be selfish to ask her to stay as the trip is planned one year before. So I can only plan better to ensure I can pass through the confinement period.

I have searched online and find that many have done the same, even with the first born. After reading the forum (Link), and mommy blog (link), plus my previous experience, I have the following plan

1. Food :
Lunch: Confinement food catering. I have made a booking with SN Nanny for RM1500/30days including delivery. Have read the good comments on the services, compared to others.
Dinner: MIL cooking. During her absence, will reheat the confinement food if the portion for lunch is enough for 2 meals. Otherwise, will cater for normal food catering for about RM150 per person. Then during weekend, hubby will da bao the pork leg in sweet vinegar or pepper pork tummy from outside for dinner.
(2 reasons I plan this. Firstly, I am O type blood, so my baby will have jaundice more easily due to incompatibility. In order not to aggravate, I am supposed not to take any chinese herbs or ginger. Secondly, normal food catering allow me to take less herbs due to reason above and it cost much less too plus my hubby also can eat together)

2. Cleaning and Laundry:
Hire a part-time maid every other day for cleaning the hourse and do the laundry work. I have also prepared more disposable breastpad and panties so that less cleaning to do.

3. Baby care
Will call the nurses from Klinik Ibu mengandung dan Kanak-kanak so that they can do home visit during the first 10 days after delivery. Then, I'll be the one bath and change. I will be fully breastfeeding too so I have no worries on bottle cleaning but pump cleaning to do.

4. Bathing
There are ready to boil herbal pack for bath. During MIL absence, I will just soak the pack with hot water from water heater at highest setting in a pail, then shower with it. As for baby bathing, I do it myself if I am confident, otherwise just wipe with warm water.

5. Others
Hubby to take 2-3 days leaves to help out.

6. HE
I will prefer to have her at home at night and weekend as usual. If she doesn't behave or I can't cope, she will be with babysitter until things are more settled.

Hopefully the plan will work out well. I hope that this coming baby will not have jaundice as bad as the sister as hospital and clinic visits are really tiring. As long as baby stay healthy, breastfed well and gain weight, I think the rest can be settled easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment