Thursday, May 30, 2013

HC_chronicles of event 4:Cephalohaematoma

7 hours after birth, after the follow up paed MO review, HC was found to have a cephalohaematoma on the left side of his head, likely as a result from the vacuum intervention. According to the review, Dr mentioned it was the size of 1 x 2 cm, and should resolve within a day or 2. So its shouldn't be a big deal.
The affected part of the head was squishy to touch and I had to be even more gentle in handling him especially while trying to position him for breastfeeding. 

However, on day 4 of life, when he was admitted for phototherapy due to jaundice, the same Dr was doing round in NICU, she sounded surprise upon examining him and wonder why the cephalo had became bigger to 3x4cm. She even sound blaming me for not monitoring him properly for jaundice, like "how come now only bring baby here...how come didn't call Klinik Kesihatan to have nurses visit...." which add guilt to my not so good start after birth experience. I became more worried, such thing grew bigger always sound bad, especially previously I had handled a case with infected cephalo, I hope and prayed that it won't happen to HC.
After we were discharged home and as HC underwent home phototherapy, I felt so guilty so much so I couldn't sleep well. I blamed myself for not being able to exert all my effort to push him out till requiring vacuum intervention, I felt useless, I should have gone to hospital earlier, should have asked for better position for pushing ( as I recalled I was not in ideal position or posture in delivery), I shouldn't be bothered by the tearing of tissue....I felt so sorry that I made HC having to go through all these....poor HC, its mummy's fault.
My worries and concern deepen as I suddenly felt something squishy on the right side of HC head too! That was something new! How come Dr didn't detect it while he was in NICU? They kept mention cephalo on the left. Was the cephalo spreading? I googled somemore, and more and more worried as I read the possibility of  brain damage, infection and neurosurgery intervention. No, no, please, this would be very traumatic to HC and me!
Thank God that I have friends who are Paediatrician. I whatsapp them for opinion and took the below picture

I was reassured by my friend that the right one 'surface' later as the head swelling during birth reduced, as both cephalo were separated and not crossing the suture line, so the situation was still ok and I should continue to monitor the size. Monitoring....that's really testing my patience. Everyday, I prayed hard that the cephalo size won't increase somemore. I prayed, that should the size not reduce, be it due to calcification, at least please dont let them increase somemore. Everyday, I kept softly touching and trying to measure using my fingers.

3 days after earlier picture
I had to really thank God that the Cephalo indeed not increasing. Finally before the second admission on day 26 of life, or by third week, they had resolved completely, though the one on the right seemed to have calcified as I still could see the 'bump'. Nevermind, at least they had resolved. 
So, first concern at the first week: G6PDd and Jaundice ---pending resolving
      Second concern/scare at the second week: Cephalohaematoma ---- Resolved
      Still there was a third scare.... sigh..... at next post

No comments:

Post a Comment