Thursday, May 23, 2013

HC_chronicles of event 2: Jaundice


Right after birth, HC has been passing out the meconium very well. However, on the day we are discharged home, he hasn't passed a motion, and to my worry, not even a pee too.  At night ( near to 72 hrs post birth), then he pass a small amount concentrated urine. I am worried but I dont want to too alarm myself, we are just back from hospital, please dont tell me to go clinic for blood test for bilirubin. Oh the next day, again HC    dont pass any urine nor motion. He is also getting more yellowish. at night, the disposable diaper is stained with pink powder ( initially we are scare that its blood).
26March, as he is getting more yellowish till even palm, I got to bring him to see Dr Koe.  In the afternoon bilirubin test found 323 umol/L, and Dr Koe advice to go to hospital to be admitted. Thank God that my colleague is working in NICU and she help me arrange everything. As HC is G6PDD and the bilirubin count is high, intensive phototherapy is prescribed and HC has to be put into in a spaceship like device. The same MO come to examine him and even ask to start IV drip at 75ml/kg/day, she also ask me to stop breastfeeding temporarily. I am devastated especially thinking that HC need to be put in branula for IV drip.
The doctor instruction for witholding breastfeeding has indeed discouraged me and I just walk out of NICU to have my dinner brought by husband. Then I just serve the net instead trying to calm myself.
Later hubby call me and say HC cry nonstop, I am just devastated and refuse to go back to NICU, since I am asked to withold breastfeeding :" what can I do? let him be.." Finally I go back to the ward, then the nurse in-charged ( SN Su) ask me :" Are you sure you dont want to breastfeed?", "Tapi doktor minta saya berhenti, saya ingat saya pump saja," I reply, "pasti ke, sayangla kalau you nak berhenti....". I am like encouraged "saya cuba la". From my eldest experience, she can hardly get off my breast when she is just a few days old, I am not confident as I know HC need to be under the photo and breastfeeding time can interrupt it. So I just feed and feed, apply breast compression as much as possible, left and right and left... then finally he slept soundly and able to stay inside the spaceship like phototherapy machine.

Then 1 hour later, the doctors do round and has to examine HC ( This is the part I dont like, I put so much effort trying to put HC to sleep, once the doctor do round, HC wake up and I have to repeat the cycle again...). However, during midnight, either its due to the dextrose drip, or HC is too tired, he sleep for 4 hours straight, even after doctors take several blood samples! In order to let him have as much phototherapy as possible, I don't even want to clean his buttock knowing he has passed motion.

Finally in the morning, the bilirubin has drop further , from 332---285---209---182. Finally no photo is required and I am so relieved that I can just hold him. HC is such a dear, and he sleeps after I feed both sides though it takes around 1 hour long, but I am able to refresh myself, go toilet, have lunch and dinner at ease. At night we are discharged home. However, I feel myself neck pain and back pain, I can't even walk easily, feel like something is in between my vagina, sometimes I feel sudden sharp pain which make me walk real slow
HC after intensive phototherapy

Though discharge home already, we still need to check the bilirubin level again next day

No comments:

Post a Comment